Saturday, May 14, 2016

A Quick Thought

I'm listening to a radio show interview right now -- a very polite and civil discussion, I might add, which is a rare treat -- and I'm hearing the word "equality" thrown around, which irks me.

You and I wouldn't want to live in a world where everyone was perfectly equal, because all people are different. Would you want to be made to live in the same house as your neighbor or make the same money as your neighbor, no matter your relative qualities?

I don't want to be made to live the same life as you...I just want the same opportunities. As long as we all have the same opportunities (I won't unpack that idea just yet), I'm happy.

It would be nice if everyone who uses the words "equality" or "inequality" were made to define it. The process of definition would shed so much light on their ideas.

And, to reiterate, I looove civility. It makes me feel civilized.

No comments:

Post a Comment